Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Quinn is a Gift

For those of you who are not as familiar with Down syndrome, I would like to share with all of you one of the best books out there that was such a comfort to me when I was pregnant with Quinn. The book is called Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children with Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives. This book is a collection of essays written by many different mothers, and it centers on their experiences in having a child with Down syndrome. It reflects upon their reactions to the diagnosis and the meaning they have since attached to this event in their lives. If you are interested in this topic or just gaining a better understanding of the experience, I highly recommend this book. Up to the point of publication of Gifts, it was difficult for many expectant or new parents to Down syndrome to see published positive portrayals of the experience of having a child with this diagnosis. This book was instrumental in my ability to see Quinn as a gift in our lives. I am also attaching two clips - one shows a news interview with some of the mothers featured in the book and the second clip involves beautiful photos of the families set to music. I hope you enjoy this beautiful book.



No comments:

Post a Comment