Saturday, May 16, 2009

Deep Thoughts

Remember SNL’s Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy? These were thoughts like:

“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting”

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex."

My college roommate, Wendy, and I loved Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. We would just crack up when hearing these. Here is a shout-out to Wendy if you are reading this! Anyway, there is a concrete truth to these thoughts. That is why they are so funny. We all have deep thoughts and sometimes they can seem odd or strange to others, like these Jack Handy ones. I started having some deep thoughts of my own after my moment the other night when I wrote my letter to the 21st chromosome. Here are four of my thoughts…

#1 Some things are backward. Like I am really the weak one, and Quinn is really the strong one. She is the one who comforts me. I may have physical and cognitive advantages, but she has more wisdom and power than I ever will. It is all ironic if you think about it. My 18 month daughter also has more strength and character than I, a 37-year-old woman, can ever dream of having. She is the one that is caring for and guiding me, so to speak. I am the one with the disability - she is the one with the ability.

#2 After even earning a doctorate, I have felt the need to "return to school," and I have been tested by this experience. Sometimes I pass these tests, and sometimes I fail. But even when I receive that F on my report card, I still learn more than I ever could have with all A grades.

#3 You can have both a friend and an enemy in something like Down syndrome. That strong hate makes you closer to it because it knows your weaknesses and vulnerabilities. If someone or something sees you at your most vulnerable moment, you undoubtedly feel more connected to it.

#4 And finally, you need humor regularly on this journey. I added this Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy to side of my blog because it is totally true for me on this journey: “If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward.”

Sometimes it is OK to be weak and a coward. I have learned to be proud of this. Yes, Mr. Brave Man and Ms. Brave Woman, I am a coward.

-Karyn

No comments:

Post a Comment