Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The New Elite

I was listening today to someone talking about how they did not feel like they are normal. A very powerful story this person had. You could just see the power of normal.

NORMAL. A word that I never had a second thought about before now has great significance to me.

Yesterday I was eating lunch with three other women and they start talking about their lives. It doesn’t take me long to realize that I cannot relate to one thing they are saying. I am abnormal. Nope, I am not a normal woman, mom, wife, etc – I don’t say a word, fearing my abnormal ways will stigmatize me. Then the conversation turns to talking about one person’s 10-month-old grandchild, who is starting to walk. How exiting! I have been there twice before with the typical development of the boys and how smooth that all goes. Ummm…inside I ask myself, what is Quinn doing now? Well, gee she just started crawling – let’s recap, she is two YEARS old. Yep, that is not normal. Ok I really need to be quiet now because these women certainly don’t want me to say anything and upset their normal little worlds. Later I tell someone how I didn’t appreciate how a professional person left me a voicemail with the r-word in it. The person said oh they were probably just quoting what the mother said. Yep, I am not normal. I am overly sensitive.

You know what, I have realized that I really don’t want to be normal. I don’t want my daughter to be normal. I want to learn AND grow AND become more sensitive to what other people go through. I don’t want to just assume that everyone walks the same line. That is hurtful. It happens FAR too often and even amongst some people who should know better. Normal is over-rated and desiring it can make some miserable or superficial. Atypical is where it is at. I am part of the elite!

-Karyn

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the scene in the movie "The Blind Side" with Sandra Bullock. She has this regular luncheon with other women, and after about the 4th time (in the movie) she realizes she no longer fits in their group - walks out. You and her - would make a good team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I'm not stalking you tonight. Just catching up on reading blog posts. I love the last paragraph so much. Very well said. Rock on Sister!
    ---Jen

    ReplyDelete