Monday, September 19, 2011

What is Achievement Anyway?

This is just my thoughts...my opinions...this is in no way meant to translate to others...we are all on a journey...an individual journey and this is where I am right here and now...

In Jonathan Mooney's book The Short Bus he interviews a mother of a young woman with DS (Katie). I love this book. It opened to my eyes to that disability is another area of diversity. This is a point that I needed to look at because it challenged my values. Anyway, Katie's mom stated, "Katie revealed my dark side. She was a little crack of light that go in there and revealed my dark side. It is a dark side that most of us have." I had a dark side. I am not ashamed to say that. Quinn revealed it. She continues to reveal it.

What I hope beyond anything is that my children do something great in this world. I used to believe it had to do with what they achieve. I have a Ph.D. I was a gifted student. I had a 4.0 all through college - undergraduate and graduate. It is all about achievement in my life. Achievement, achievement, achievement.... Now I know that achievement isn't everything. Quinn, just at three years old, has shown more purpose and impact on others than I ever have and I work in a helping profession. What is worth anyway? Jonathan Mooney examined this for himself in the Short Bus. I examine it through Quinn. Right now I realize that Quinn has more worth than me. I don't care about what society values, I care about what I value in my heart. Society didn't value various races in the past. They were wrong. Maybe there will be a new way of looking at cognitive disabilities in the future - who knows. I can hope, can't I? Quinn has the DSM-IV-TR diagnosis of Mental Retardation. So be it. I say that now fully recognizing that I still struggle with this periodically. I am on a journey. But right now I feel in my heart that one's IQ does not determine their value. I give IQ tests for a living, they are just a number. What you leave behind on this earth is what matters and Quinn will touch so many people. She will leave behind a legacy that surpasses my legacy. That is truly achievement. She will be proud. That is what it is about. I know this because I see how she already touched her brothers.

-Karyn

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Quinn is beautiful, and has a pretty smile. She is a precious gift, and a special earthly angel. She is a courageous, strong and determined fighter. She is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. She will be in my thoughts. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, 12 diagnosis, and developmental delays. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understand that employed video gaming use a left over worth.Do not forget that GameStop produces One.Two billion of industry credits all over the world with our employed video game design.So think about using used online games beyond that will, you'll need to find brand new ways to market the video games.Earlier rumours sharp to the Xbox winner employing a system that might stop gamers coming from enjoying utilised headings.Microsoft have not directly mentioned around the make a difference, along with game enthusiasts are certainly not more likely to educate yourself on the firm's correct intentions in the near future.Ms validated yesterday who's may not be delivering fresh Xbox hardware on the This year Electronic Enjoyment Expo, which usually goes 06 5-7 within Los Angeles.
    Cheap fifa 15 coins

    Fut 15 coins

    ReplyDelete